Joseph Liberti, Flutist and Composer
Joseph Liberti is a musician and nature lover whose musical mission is to create beautiful, engaging and inspiring music, both as a performer and composer.
Below is a chronological overview of Joseph’s musical history as performer and leader of the jazz group FluteDaddy, details of music education, connections and compositions with links to Joseph’s music samples.
2009 FluteDaddy Begins
In 2009, after a career in business, Joseph focused on fulfilling a lifetime dream of making music. Joseph immersed himself in what has become a second lifetime of the study and practice of music performance and composition. He began performing as a flutist at charity events and jam sessions and then formed the jazz fusion band FluteDaddy. In recent years, Joseph composed and performed his music at various concert venues.
The FluteDaddy jazz fusion band has specialized in arranging and performing themed concerts at various arts venues including:
- 2009 – 2010, Jazz N’ The Beatles: A concert program of jazz arrangements of Beatles music.
- 2010, Jazz N’ The Movies: A concert of music from the movies arranged in a variety of jazz styles, performed at Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center.
- 2011-2012, Latin Soul: Flute Daddy performed concerts of specially arranged Latin Jazz music with guest percussionist Dennis Bueno.
- 2012 – 2014, The Jazz Soiree: FluteDaddy performed monthly themed concerts and featured guest jazz artists from Colorado.
- 2014 – Present, Special Events: FluteDaddy trio, quartet and sextet performed regularly throughout Colorado for private parties and special events.
Clients included: The Broadmoor Resort, The Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region, Cottonwood Center For The Arts, Motif Jazz Cafe , Pikes Peak Jazz & Swing Society, The Salida Steam Plant and Tri-Lakes Arts Center
Composition and Performance
Joseph Liberti has composed several programs of original music and performed the music with various ensembles for special events.
- 2015 Ladder To The Moon: Joseph composed music inspired by the art of Georgia O’Keeffe and the FluteDaddy sextet performed two concerts of the music at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center. during a major O’Keeffe exhibit.
- 2015-2016 Dialogue: Joseph composed and recorded Dialogue, a collection of 17 classical duets for flute and cello. Joseph and Norah Joy Clydesdale performed Dialogue at Cottonwood Center For The Arts Selections from the Dialogue program were performed as part of a special mass celebrated at Holy Family Church of Pueblo.
- 2016 – 2017 Butterfly Zone: Joseph composed a concert of “chamber jazz”, a fusion of jazz and classical music inspired by nature. The music was premiered at Millibo Art Theatre, in January of 2017. Repeat performances are scheduled for Summer and Fall of 2017 at various locations.
Joseph Liberti – Training and Development
Joseph created and continues to follow a self-directed program of study using a combination of live instruction, books, video and online training courses.
- 2002 Jazz Studies – Improvisation: Joseph attended Jamey Aebersold summer jazz camp.
- 2006 – 2016 Flute Studies – Technical skills: with Colorado flute teachers Julie Mynett and Pikes Peak Flute Choir Director Emeritus Karen Morsch.
- 2008 – 2012 Jazz Studies – Jazz Performance: with International jazz flute recording artist and jazz innovator Ali Ryerson.
- 2013 – 2014 Jazz Combo Leading: Joseph led an adult jazz comb class for Broadmoor Academy of Music.
- 2012 – 2016 Jazz History and Performance: Joseph founded non-profit jazz advocacy, The Art of Jazz, and designed and lead adult education classes in jazz appreciation, featuring live music at Bemis School of Art and other locations.
- 2014 – 2015 Jazz Studies – Composing and Arranging: Joseph had private lessons in jazz arranging with internationally recognized pianist/arranger David Hanson.
- 2014 – 2016 Jazz Studies – Denver: Joseph attended classes in improvisation, composing and arranging conducted by music professors from University of Colorado at Boulder and at Denver University, including: jazz pianist/composers Jeff Jenkins, Annie Booth and vibraphonist Greg Tanner Harris.
- 2015 – 2017 Jazz Online Training: Joseph participated in various online courses and workshops in jazz performance including those facilitated by Chick Corea and saxophone great Bob Reynolds.
- 2017, Classical Online Training: Joseph recently completed an online learning program in basic Classical composition.
Joseph Liberti Professional Associations
2009 – 2016 Performance: Joseph has performed concerts, gigs and special events with world class musicians including:
- Pianists/Vibraphonists: Brad Bietry, David Hanson, Ian Ferguson, Ken Janzen, Carlos Matute, Bruce Pennington, Sam Pannunzio, Sean Hanlon Jana Lee Ross and vibraphonist Aaron Turner.
- Guitarists: Vic Centicola, Barbara Ernst, Alan Joseph, Steve Langemo, Rico Southee and Wayne Wilkenson.
- Bassists: Andy Burtschi, Kirwan Brown, Jason Crowe, John Flores, Marc Neihof, Kim Stone, Colin Truesdell, Jon Ward and Ken Walker.
- Drummers: Randy Bowen, Dennis Bueno, Britt Ciampa, Dick Cunico, Stefan Flores, Mike Marlier, Paul Shaw and Kevin Smith.
- Horns: Phil Allen, Brad Eastin, Ed Hureau and Chris Wotecki.
- Vocalists: Julie Bradley, Stephanie Hancock, Eleanor Prior-Hernandez, Lila Mori and Tina Phillips.
- Cellists: Norah Joy Clydesdale and Ann Carpenter Rule.
- February 2017: Joseph continues to write new material for Butterfly Zone, “chamber jazz” music inspired by nature, to be performed at various venues with the FluteDaddy Quintet.
Jazz Performance: Click here for jazz performance samples
Compositions: Click here for samples of Joseph’s compositions
For more information and booking of Joseph Liberti or FluteDaddy bands contact:
info@josephLiberti.Com or call 1-719-422-5299